Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Crossfit - Armoury - Edmonton, Canada

Hey Fellow Crossfitters - So after the WOD at Crossfit Calgary, I was lucky enough to be in Edmonton which is about a 3 hour drive from Calgary.

Crossfit Armoury is located in a business park in a similar location to CFSWB.  Easy to find and plenty of parking.

I had also emailed them to let them know I was coming and Jason one of the trainers was super nice on email and said to please stop by and WOD with them and there would NOT be a drop-in fee!  I wanted to buy a shirt but nothing really caught my eye so I passed.  Here was the warm up and WOD ( note no pull ups or push ups because if there was I would not be WOD'ing with them)

Warm up
Knee highs
butt kicks
jump skips
DU - 25
OH squats with dowel - 15
pull ups 10

Then
10 x 200 m sprints EMOM.  I knew that this would be a challenge and it was.  After just 3 rounds I was feeling the burn, it didn't help that Edmonton is about 2K feet above sea level so the elevation was tough on my lungs as well

WOD
21-15-9
Deadlifts - 225lb
Front squats - 135lb

So after the sprint work, it was time for the WOD.  I was actually very excited to do this WOD for the simple fact that I could do the weight but how long it was going to take me remained to be seen. So, we went through a series of warm ups with both deadlifts and front squats so that the trainers could see that we could do the weight and I was ready to go.  Oh yeah, one more thing, we were only allowed to use one bar for this workout, so you started on the deadlift at 225 and when you finished the 21 reps you removed a 45# plate from each side and did 21 reps of front squat with 135# and the same for 15 reps and 9 reps.

OK, it was 3-2-1- Go and we were off.  The first set of deadlift's went well,not as fast and I wanted to go but not bad.  I managed to get through the first set of front squats fairly well, but it was the second set of 15 reps where I really began to feel this one.  The weights really began to feel super heavy and after 15 reps where done, I moved on to set of 9.  I was almost 8 minutes in the WOD, but it felt much longer and I heard that voice in my head telling me to pick up the bar, but my body wasn't responding.  I was just standing over the bar sweating and finally something clicked and I reached down for the final reps of the deadlift and soon after I was finishing the front squats.  What made this WOD tough was changing the weights back and forth from 225 to 135.  Also, the deadlifts felt good but it was more the front squats because I had to clean the weight and do the front squat and it felt like I was lifting a F*$#ing house. 
I finished with a time of 12:35 which I felt was respectable, it felt good to be done with this one!

Hope you get a chance to do a WOD like this with the heavy weights, it certainly takes you to the outer limits of your comfort zone but allows you to find that place inside of you to dig deep and persevere!

Good luck!  SAU







No comments:

Post a Comment