Friday, July 6, 2012

Crossfit Belltown, Seattle WA

Hey Fellow Crossfitters -

After my trip to Vancouver, BC Canada I was up in Seattle and was heading to Crossfit Bellown, right in heart of downtown Seattle.  I have actually been there before and have been welcomed back each and every time by the owner Nadia Shatila.  She is a wonderful person and always allows me to visit the box without a drop in fee.  If you don't know who she is look her up, she is an amazing crossfitter, placing in the Pac NW Regionals just about every year and she is on the staff at Crossfit, she travels around teaching Level I Certifications, (more on this topic in my next blog).  Also you gotta see this location, its a nice mix of a wine bar and typical crossfit box, not kidding it is the nicest one I have been to!  See the pictures below to see for yourself.

Because of my schedule I almost always seem to go to the 6 am WOD and this trip was no different.  This is also good because there is typically a smaller number of people at this time slot increasing your chances to have a good WOD. 

As always before heading up to Seattle I sent an Email to Nadia, asking if I could join a WOD and like every other time the answer was "sure Steve no problem" and I all was set.  She also told me that I would be doing some squats as they were in the middle of a strength program but there would be other stuff as well.  Honestly, I was a bit bummed out because it wasn't your typical WOD but decided to go away, besides I could use a strength day after the recent WOD's at our box.

So I got up bright and early and did a nice mile run to the box and as usual Brandon was there, he is the instructor at 6 am and a very good one.  What I like about Brandon is his brutal honestly during the class, he tells you exactly what you need to do and does it in his own very loud way( BTW, he is not shy about dropping the F***bomb or other expletives about your form, so better get used to it, cause I like it.  Way to go Brandon, you are awesome!

The WOD went like this

5 minutes of squat therapy, basically getting you ready to squat

2 rounds (not for time)
10 push ups
10 dynamic toe touches
10 lateral lunges
10 ab mat sit ups

Back squat
1x4 @ 70%, 1 x4 @75%, 1 x4 @80%, and 1x4 @85% of your max
Front squat
1 x5 @ 60%, 1x5@ 65%, 2x5 @ 70%

Lastly, 3 sets of 5 L pull ups

So what this means is that you do 4 reps at each percentage for both back and front squat and then some L pull ups!  

This strength program is called Hatch, named after Gayle Hatch and if you google her you will find her website with tons of information. 

When you get right down to it, this program provides a full workout, by the time we did the exercises to warm up and then do the program add in the L pull ups, there was just enough time to stretch out at the end.  Also, during the WOD, I got to talk with the others about this program and they all really liked it, they said that you find your max and then during the program you work over your max ensuring that you will hit your PR.  Net, net, everyone is getting stronger!

Thanks again to Nadia, Brandon and all the others at 6 am in Belltown, you are strong!








No comments:

Post a Comment