Sunday, July 22, 2012

X-Factor Portland, OR - Crossfit Level I Cert

Hello Everyone - This blog is slightly delayed because work and life have been very busy and that is the way it goes.

So, I did not tell very many people that I was doing this but I was signed up for the Crossfit Level 1 certification in Portland on June 30 and July 1st.  For those of you who are familiar with the training, its a 2 day lecture with hands on training and 2 surprise WOD's.  There are 5 trainers from the Crossfit HQ Training staff that teach the course.  At this training it was Todd, Jesse, Tommy, Kurtis and of course Nadia, and if you read the blog about my trip to Seattle you know who she is.  This training session was sold out with 55 soon to be Crossfit trainers.  Anyway, each trainer takes a portion of the class instruction and does a review of the information in a classroom like style and then we break out into smaller groups of 10-12 and we take part in some hands on work.

The information was presented in an easy to understand way.  Each of the trainers had their own unique presentation style which kept the infromation fun and enjoyable.  There was copious amounts of information; everything from the definition of Crossfit, what GPP is, the definition of Power and Intensity, to the Crossfit Definition of Fitness and why and  how each Crossfit bench mark WOD's were created.  Listed below are a few of the definitions;

What is Crossfit - Constantly Varied Functional Movements done at High Intensity

GPP - General Physical Preparedness - Gets you ready for anything, anytime, and anywhere

Force (large load) X Distance (long distance) / Time = Power.  Power = Intesity.

Crossfit definition of Fitness - Work capacity across broad time and model domains

We went over proper form of the air squat, front squat, and OH squat, Press, Push press, push jerk, dead lift, SDHP, med ball cleans, The GHD machine and so much more.  They also touched on how to correct mistakes for each one and how to use progressions if someone cannot do the movement with full range of motion.  We talked about push ups, pull ups, gymnastics moves, cardio moves, and how to incorporate these.  They touched on food, diet and what works for Crossfit.  I could go on an on about the information but will leave it at that for now.

After lunch and a few more lectures, it was time to do the WOD.  We had been preped through out the day on what the WOD might be and sure enough it was the defining Crossfit WOD.....FRAN!  Everyone would do it, wheather you choose to do it RX or scaled.  FRAN was one of those bench mark WOD's that should be done in under 10 minutes so if you could not do it RX you had to choose a weight that was right for you. 

21-15-9 of thrusters and pull ups.  95 lbs for guys and 65 lbs for girls.

Honestly, I have a love hate relationship with FRAN and I think most Crossfitters would agree with me.  I mean I like the WOD but have this inner fear of her.  I know that I can finish it but I fear the pain that comes after the first set of 21 reps, it seems as though the last sets of 15 and 9 are miles away.  Somehow I made it though again with a time of 5:17 which for me is very good, I shaved over a minute off my time.

In the second day we touched on other Crossfit subjects and one last WOD.  Honestly I cannot remember if it was a 7 or 8 minute AMRAP but I do remember it was a triplet, meaning 3 movements; push ups, sit ups and MB cleans and again do not remember the number of reps per movement but do remember that that I got almost 7 rounds.

The class ended with a 50 question multiple choice test in which you had 45 minutes to complete and if you passed the test, you were qualified to be a Crossfit trainer.  So that was it for the certification class and sorry I did not take any pictures.  Looking back I wish I would have. 

So if any of your are interested in getting certified, I highly suggest it.  It's fun, informative, interactive and overall a great experience and besides,  life is all about experiences.  Plus you get to do FRAN!

Yes, I did pass........

No comments:

Post a Comment